Monday 1 October 2018

Pause for Prayer: TUESDAY 10/2


I was dreading yesterday with fear and anxiety,
especially two tasks that were facing me.
In real time, they came and went painlessly,
even successfully!

And then came an unexpected reason to be fearful,
rising up suddenly right in front of me -
but with the Lord's help, and only with his help,
I took it in stride and made my way through it.

Why do I make mountains of molehills?
Why do I worry as if I faced life all alone?
Why do I forget, over and over,
that the Lord is my help and my strength,
that with the Lord all things are possible? 

I began yesterday in a quiet panic.
I ended the day with this prayer... 


Why, Lord?
Why?

Over and over,
time and time again
I forget...

For one reason or another
(or both)
I dread the day ahead
and I forget...

For one reason or another
(or both)
I focus on the problems, the challenges,
the trials and tribulations
I'm sure will come my way,
that I'm sure will bring me down
and I forget...

I forget, Lord,
that you are always with me,
behind me, before me, beside me,
above and below me:
you're there with me and for me,
always...

I forget, Lord,
that even when I ignore you,
you've got my back...

I forget, Lord,
that there's nothing in my life
that you and I together
cannot face, cannot handle...

I forget, Lord,
all the troubled times you've seen me through
and how, even when things didn't work out
just the way I wanted, just the way I hoped,
just the way I prayed:
you saw me through my losses
and all my disappointments...

I forget, Lord,
that today's mountain will, tomorrow,
show itself to be a molehill...

I forget, Lord, how life looks smaller,
easier and more manageable
when seen through a rear-view mirror...

I forget your faithful presence, Lord,
I forget you're there for me
even when I cannot see or find or hear you...

I forget your strength to rescue me
especially when I'm feeling weak,
alone and powerless...

I forget the times, Lord,
the too-many-times-to-count
when you have helped me, rescued me,
delivered me and carried me
through straights I thought I'd not survive...

I forget, Lord, over and over again,
and so I pray you'll remind me
that all shall be well,
that all shall be well,
that all manner of things shall be well
if I but place my trust in you...

Amen.


 

   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment