Monday 8 October 2018

Pause for Prayer: TUESDAY 10/9

Image source

If I were you, Lord,
I'd have watched the hearings and known:
who was telling the truth,
who was failing to tell the truth
and who truly believed they were speaking the truth
even if they were mistaken...

If I were you, Lord,
I'd have known who would best serve the truth,
who would listen with mind and with heart,
whose opinions would be fair, wise and just,
who would balance compassion with challenge,
who'd be worthy of the title, "Justice..."

If I were you, Lord,
I could have eavesdropped on backroom scheming,
seen through political posturing,
read both party's playbooks,
sniffed out fact from fiction
and decided my vote accordingly...

But I'm not you, Lord:
I don't see all things
and I'm often mistaken;
I'm biased, prejudiced and sometimes foolish;
I need your word and your wisdom to guide me
to make decisions that are sound and just...

Open my eyes, my ears and my mind,
shape my thoughts before they harden,
anoint my heart with your Spirit's blessing,
free my thinking of my predispositions
that my vision be clear, my opinions informed,
my judgments not rushed but measured...

Help me see as you do, Lord,
with clarity, depth and precision;
help me choose as you do, Lord,
with freedom, insight and wisdom;
help me believe there's truth to be known:
to seek it, find it and live by its word...

Amen.


 

   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment